Pets make the world go ’round. Since I was young, owning a pet has always been a huge part of our lives. So much that I can’t imagine a world without a dog at home! Us pet owners know how much our furry friends improve our lives. They give us purpose and become a part of our families. But did you know owning a pet can improve our mental and physical health too? Pets are great to have around for companionship and love, but they have more to offer than an unlimited supply of kisses. Here are some of our favorite health benefits to owning a pet.
Physical and Mental Benefits:
- Pets Can Lower Cholesterol and Blood Pressure: Yep, you read that right! Pups are a huge contributor to lower stress levels. You may lose your job or your home, but you’ll never lose your dogs love and attention.
- Get Used to Lower Stress Levels: Ask any dog owner about the best part of their day. Most pet owners will never deny that dogs make us happy, without even trying! A family pet may not get take care of all your problems, but the little things they do make our days a little bit brighter.
- Pets for Depression: Pets can help with so many different anxiety and depression disorders. From PTSD to clinical depression, your pet is there for you. Not only can they provide motivation to keep going forward, they make you feel like the most important person in the world.
- Pets Are The Best Medicine: I know it sounds crazy, but dogs can have a huge impact on improving physical pain. Pain is often associated with anxiety, and there are studies that prove dogs are able dull anxiety in humans and lower the intensity of physical pain, too.
- Getting Active: Families who own dogs are more likely to be active and get outside more often. Having to take the dog for a walk is great excuse to get out of the house and get some exercise.
- Lessons for Kiddos: If your kids are old enough to understand the concept of responsibility, owning a pet is a great way to hold them accountable. Not only can it teach them the importance of responsibility, it’s a great way to teach them compassion and empathy, too!
- Aiding in Children’s Development: Not only are they a great way teach your kiddos some important lessons, they can help with some common disorders in children. Pets are a great tool to help children dealing with autism, ADD, and ADHD. Providing them with a consistent daily schedule helps kiddos focus on the task at hand and learn why a routine is important.
- Getting Social: Pets do tend to take up more of our time, but believe it or not, they help us improve our social and communication skills. Maybe you normally feel uncomfortable talking to strangers when you go to the store or grab the mail. But when someone asks about your dog, there’s the comfort of knowing you have something to talk about.
- Getting Out and About: In addition to improving your physical activity levels, dogs help you find some motivation to explore and spend some time outside. Maybe you’ll start looking into some different parks, trails, or dog-friendly events near you. Almost like a school club, finding people with similar interests is one of the best ways to make friends.
Pets are great to have around for companionship and love, but it doesn’t just end there. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that pet owners are generally healthier than their peers. Dogs can reduce potential cardiac problems, can help you get in shape, and can even help you get out of the house on Friday nights. But don’t get us wrong – there’s no better feeling in the world than being greeted by your best buddy after a long day. How has owning a pet improved your life? Leave your comments below!