There’s nothing as great as a bunch of easy and delicious weeknight dinner recipes, is there? We don’t think so! In our home, we do our best to have a bunch of great weeknight dinner recipes stuffed away somewhere so we can get dinner made during those busy weekday nights. And this Cowboy Chicken Casserole does NOT come to disappoint! Filled with lots of nutritious goodies, this casserole is the perfect weeknight dinner for your entire family! Here’s how to get started:
- 2 lbs chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned fire-roasted tomatoes drained
- 1/2 cup corn kernels canned or frozen
- 1 cup black-eyed peas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup sweet onion diced
- 1/4 cup diced jarred jalapeños optional
- 3 cloves fresh garlic pressed
- 2 tbsp Italian dressing mix divided
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Colby jack cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice about 1 lime
- 1 tbsp cilantro optional
Lay the chicken breast flat in a casserole dish, then sprinkle 1 tbsp of the Italian dressing seasoning over the top.
In a bowl, mix the black beans, black-eyed peas, fire-roasted tomatoes, corn, onion, bell pepper, garlic, oil, lime juice, and the remaining 1 tbsp dressing mix until combined.
Spread the bean mixture over the seasoned chicken. Bake uncovered on the middle rack at 375˚F for 45-55 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (internal temp 165˚F)
5 minutes before the baking is finished, remove the dish and cover the top evenly with cheese and return to the oven to cook until done.
Garnish with cilantro and serve over rice or with your favorite side dishes. Enjoy!