Hot chocolate won’t ever beat coffee, but it easily comes as a close second. Sweet sugary warm goodness is a must-have for the entire winter season! Now imagine – something as amazing as the cupcake version exists. You read that right – we’ve hit the dessert lottery. Starting out with a moist chocolate cake, topped with creamy frosting and marshmallow goodness. These hot chocolate cupcakes live up to their name and taste just like a warm comforting cup of hot cocoa! Simple and easy to make, these are sure to become a winter staple in your home!
- 1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup dry hot chocolate mix (no marshmallows)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place paper liners in a cupcake tin (this recipe makes 14 cupcakes). Set aside.
- Next, in a medium bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer), beat together the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract until combined. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and buttermilk to the batter. Start with one-third of the dry ingredients, stir a few strokes. Add half the buttermilk, stir. Repeat. Add remaining flour mixture and stir just until combined. Be careful not to over mix. The batter will be somewhat thin.
- Pour batter into the prepared cupcake tin. Fill each paper liner halfway full (avoid overfilling and use 14 liners). Bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting
To make the frosting:
- First, whisk together the hot cocoa mix and heavy cream In a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat for 5 minutes, stirring often, until warm. Remove from heat and cool for 20 minutes (or until at room temperature).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer), beat butter until smooth, about 1 minute. Add confectioners’ sugar and beat until combined, about 1 minute. With the mixer on low, slowly pour in hot cocoa mixture. Once combined, increase speed to medium-high and beat for 1 minute. Add more confectioners’ sugar if you’d like a thicker frosting.
- Finally, transfer frosting to a pastry bag fitted with the desired tip (I used a large round Wilton 1 A). Pipe frosting on to cupcakes and garnish with mini marshmallows.
These hot chocolate cupcakes are every bit delicious as they sound. What are some of your favorite fusion desserts? Let us know in the comments below!
Recipe via Spoonful of Flavor.