When it comes to holiday decorations I like it keep it plain and simple. A few plaid pillows, a festive mug, or a few pumpkins on the doorstep is about as fancy as we get. But one of my absolute favorite decorations is a hand-made craft made with my kiddos. And this pumpkin turkey craft is no exception! Quick, easy, and mess-free, it’s a great craft for the whole family! Here’s how to get started:
- Mini pumpkins
- Wooden or regular skewer
- Construction paper (brown, red, yellow)
- Craft googly eyes
- Show kids how to use a skewer to poke a bunch of holes in the top of your mini pumpkin (keep holes on one half of the top of the pumpkin).
- Then, let the kids dress up their turkeys by pushing colored feathers into each hole, making the turkey’s tail feathers.
- Cut a small piece of brown construction paper into a peanut shape to make the turkey’s head/neck. Cut a small yellow triangle for the beak, and don’t forget the red wattle!
- Add your google eyes, tape the head onto the front of your pumpkin, and you’ve got a cute turkey for your Thanksgiving table!
HOW TO CHANGE IT UP:
-Put other craft materials (stickers, craft gems, sequins, glitter, etc.) out on the table and encourage kids to get creative with their turkeys!
-Let kids draw their own faces on their turkeys.
-Use the turkeys as name cards at each place setting of your Thanksgiving table by adding a toothpick with a little name tag to each one.
This pumpkin turkey craft is perfect for gifts for neighbors, friends, or to even display on the mantel! What are some of your favorite Thanksgiving holiday crafts? Let us know in the comments below!
Tutorial via The Inspired Tree House.