Some of my favorite childhood memories revolve around meals. Lunches, dinners, but especially breakfasts. Those particular breakfast recipes remind me of Christmas morning, playing in the snow, and laughing until my whole family cried. French toast has always been a family favorite growing up, but this strawberry french toast is beyond anything you’ve had before. If you’re a big fan of sweet breakfasts, this recipe is truly what dreams are made of. Here’s how to get started on your strawberry french toast:
- 1 Loaf Texas Toast or any thick bread, approximately 8-10 slices
- (1) 8-ounce pkg. Cream Cheese softened
- 1/3 cup Strawberry Jam
- 2/3 cup Strawberries sliced into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Lemon Zest
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 3 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 5 Tablespoons Butter for pan
- Fresh Berries — Blueberries Blackberries and Strawberries
- Powdered Sugar
- Real Maple Syrup
- Fresh Whipped Cream
- In a small bowl, beat together cream cheese, jam, and lemon zest. Fold in fresh strawberries. Spoon mixture on a piece of bread and top with another piece of bread.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla, and brown sugar.
- Heat the skillet on medium-low heat and add 1 Tablespoon of butter per french toast.
- Working in batches, dip each piece of french toast into custard batter. Let each side soak for about 10 seconds. Add the soaked slices to the sizzling butter in the skillet.
- Cook until golden brown — about 4 minutes per side.
- Serve with fresh berries, powdered sugar, whipped cream, and real maple syrup.
This strawberry french toast is perfect all year long, but it’s a specifically delicious breakfast to wake up to on a cold winter day! What are some of your favorite winter breakfasts? Let us know in the comments below!
Recipe via Modern Honey.