Even though it still feels like it’s summer outside, you know we can’t resist a seriously delicious dessert recipe. As soon as the clock strikes September first, my tastebuds are begging for all things fall cooking. Pumpkin spice, carrot cake, and especially some salted caramel! So when I found this salted caramel apple crisp recipe, I couldn’t wait to try it! With all of the deliciousness of a pie but none of the guesswork of crust, this caramel apple crisp is just what you need to celebrate the start of fall! Here’s how to get started:
- 6 -7 cups tart apples, peeled and sliced (I prefer Granny Smith)
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Caramel Sauce
- Preheat oven to 375F. In a large pot over medium-high heat, (I used a 5qt dutch oven but anything large works,) combine all the filling ingredients. Toss well to evenly mix the ingredients and stir a bit while the butter melts.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until apples are a little soft and the liquid has turned golden.
- Turn filling into an 8×8 inch pan or 9-inch pie dish and set aside while you prep the topping.
- Stir the flour, sugar, and cinnamon together in a medium-sized bowl. Stir in the melted butter until large crumbs form.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the apples and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden and crispy.
Your entire family will enjoy this salted caramel apple crisp. What are some of your favorite fall-inspired desserts? Let us know in the comments below!
Recipe via The Baker Chick.